Sometimes migraines are caused by external sources called triggers. When you come in for a chiropractic treatment, it will be helpful if you can tell me what you have experienced in the three to five days before the onset of a migraine. Here is a list of the most commonly reported triggers.
- Alcohol, caffeine, aged cheese, chocolate, artificial sweeteners, seasonings, and preservatives (MSG)
- Hormonal changes (a drop in a woman’s estrogen levels), use of birth control pills, and hormone replacement therapy
- Prescription Medications
- Not enough or too much sleep
- Weather changes or changes in time zone or altitude
- Bright lights, certain scents (perfume, soap, fragrance laced cleaning supplies) or second-hand smoke
You might be wondering what these have to do with the alignment of your spine. External and internal triggers cause swelling which results in pressure on the brain stem – where the brain and spinal cord connect. This pressure pushes the vertebrae out of alignment.
This list is not comprehensive. If your trigger/s are not be listed, it doesn’t mean you don’t have migraine headaches – it does mean we need to talk so you can know what your yours are and what we can do to help you. You can’t always control your triggers, but it helps to know you can schedule a chiropractic treatment to help reduce the effects.
For more information or a free new patient consultation, call our office at 507-775-2711.
Dean Ferber, DC
Byron Family Chiropractic Clinic
501 NW Frontage RD, Byron, MN
We’re located 5 miles from Rochester, MN.
To follow us, click on the icons. . .